NO HEAT

2001 Dodge Ram

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I have a 2001 dodge ram with a 5.9l. When truck is driven until temp has com up to around 200, I have very little heat and if you put your hand on the radiator, left side has a small amount of heat in it and right side is cold. Upper hose and heater core hoses are hot, lower hose is cold. Water pump and thermostat have been replaced, (reman pump). I have tryed a known good radiator with same results. I also flushed engine with water when I replaced pump. Any ideas on why there is no heat in my radiator
Tswimm8

Hi: It sounds like the radiator is plugged. Did the test rad act the same way? Also, you mentioned that both heater core hoses are hot. Therefore, the coolant passing through the core is hot and should produce heat. Make sure the heater vent door is opening to allow the heat to enter the truck. As far as the radiator, you have me confused. Does the truck ever overheat?

Yes the test rad acts the same way as the old one. The truck has never overheated. I do have some heat just not much and it takes a long time to get it. I just tryed another watter pump also witch didn't help. I flushed out block with watter and air before installing it and some gunk came out that looks like someone may have added stop leak in the systemt at some point. When I drive truck for over an hour the right side of the rad is still cold and so is lower hose

Tswimm8
Hi: That is really interesting. If nothing is plugged, it doesn't make sense. I want you to check something for me. Allow the truck to warm up and I want you to check the lower radiator hose. Have someone rev the engine up and down. See if the hose is collapsing under pressure.

Let me know what you find.

The hose is not collapsing. There is a support spring that is inside the hose that is keeping it from happening. I just did a cooling system flush with a psi feed coolant flush machine. This didn't help the rad temp but my heat seems to work little better. I drove another dodge truck and checked the temp on that rad and lower hose. There wasnt a lot of heat in the rad on that one either but the lower hose did have some heat in it. U think that the coolant ports in the engine could be a little pluged?

Tswimm8
Hi: If the engine isn't overheating, I would say no. If the heater core hoses are both hot, then coolant is flowing through it. Now, you will need to check the vent doors in the HVAC duct work under the dash. I'm starting to wonder if one of the vents isn't opening enough to allow heat to enter the cab. Do all of the settings work? For example defroster, heater, ac vents. Have you or anyone else checked that area?

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the 2001 dodge ram with no heat. I have a truck with the same exact symptoms.

Bnwerda
I had similar issue. I found out that the vacum hoses on my engine were eaten by rodents and torn and I had vacum leak and I would not get cool air for AC or any heat. Cheap fix.

Does anyone have any answers on how to fix smell of antifreeze in the cab?

Mtaylor1300