1500 4X4 ENGINE NOISE :-(

1996 Dodge Ram

1996 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 186000 miles

1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 pick up while driving on the road all of a sudden starting making a very loud noise (sounds kind of like a fan hitting something, but isnt) from inside the engine, what can it be? I know nothing about mech. Stuff.
Ranch98642

Can't be more specific without more info, but the 2 most common problems in an engine with that many miles are lifters & bearings.

The lifters require a certain amount of oil-pressure to operate properly and if the pressure drops for any reason, they'll " collapse" & " rattle like a bucket of bolts". Normally an oil/filter change, using a high quality, heavy grade oil, @ least 20W50, will take care of that. Personally I use a straight-weight 50 in an engine with that many miles.

If it's not lifters, then it could be either a " spun" bearing or the " death rattle". The 1st caused by lack of oil between a bearing & a moving part like the crankshaft. The part can " sieze" the bearing & spin it right around - no fix for that other than rebuilding the engine.

The 2nd is usually heard when the oil level is too low and/or too thin of an oil is used. As the miles rack up, the clearance between moving parts & the bearings that support them increases & without a good, thick coating of oil to be the " cushion", the part rattles around inside the bearing. Heavier opil can keep the engine going for a while longer, but sooner or later it will have to be rebuilt.

ANJr