IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

1987 Dodge Raider

1987 Dodge Raider 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I have a 1987 Dodge Raider that needs a new ignition lock cylinder.
I can't figure out how to get the old lock cylinder out and the haynes repair manual I have is not helping. How do I remove the old lock cylinder?
Aphoebus

Hello, to replace the ignition switch you must first remove the steering column cover, next, use a hacksaw to cut slots into the upper mounting bolts. Use these slots to remove the bolts, remove wiring and reconnect onto new switch. Reassemble and recheck.

2CarPros Ken
Not the ignition switch, the lock cylinder, you know where you put your key to start the car. I have everything off, the steering column covers the harness, I took the steering lock assembly off but I still can't figure out how to pull the lock cylinder out of the housing and get the new one in

Aphoebus
Our database does not provide any information on the key cylinder removals and I hope the following works.

With the key turned to ACC ( first position after LOCK) look for a pin somewhere on top of the cylinder housing. Depress the pin and pull the inner cylinder out with the key.

Ok. There doesn't seem to be a pin but right above the acc position there is a slot. Do I maybe need a special tool to stick in that slot to get the cylinder to release?

Aphoebus
You can try that to see if it works. If it is anything that feel it has a spring below, I believe it should work.

Yeah it has a spring below it. Guess I'll head to NAPA and see if they have a tool for it. Thank you

Aphoebus
You're welcome.

Hope it works. : )