TIMING BELT

Dodge Other

1988 Dodge 600 2.5 4cyl non turbo. How big of a job is the timing belt to replace in my own garage with minimal tools and experience? I bought the car about a month ago and have already put $700.00 into it, and I don't want to spend another $300-$400
Mike Kerr

Hey don't let this belt scare you. This is one of the easier belts to repl if you have some degree of mechanical ability an a basic set of tools and a floor jack. You should go to the auto parts store and get a chiltons manual on that car($20 investment) and read up on it and decide if you are capable of attempting it. Like I said its not one of the easier ones. I would suggest(if you try it) right after you get timing marks aligned and belt on and tensioned start it up and see if it runs good(not hesitating) and no whirring noise, if it accelerates good, great and no noise great(if you get a whirring noise belt is too tight. If it doesn't run right re align timing marks. It's easier to test run it w/o putting it all back together. You only need to run it for a few seconds and hit the gas 1 time to see if it's all good. Ok. Good luck let me know how it goes

Retiredauto
I was just reading my own reply and this IS on ov the easier ones sorry for the mental error

Retiredauto