MODELS WON'T SHUT OFF

1989 Dodge Other

Other Category problem
1989 Other Dodge Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

When the key is turned off, the engine keeps running. Disconnecting the battery does not shut off the vehicle, I have to disconnect the coil wire to be able to shut off the truck.
1989 Dodge Ram Charger
Jeraus

I also have this problem with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. Does anyone have a solution?

Sadams2
Disconnecting the battery does not shut off the vehicle, I have to disconnect the coil wire to be able to shut off the truck.

Disconecting the battery will shutdown the ignition system-for that to happen the engine has to be super hot to ignite the fuel left in the chamber that will cause pre-ignition and detonation.

Probable causes: Ignition timing off and a high curb idle speed.

This is not an engine run-on issue such as you are describing. Turning the key to the off position has no effect on the running engine. I have to pull the engine control fuse from the main fuse block under the hood to kill the engine. Why would the key not be shutting the engine off?

Sadams2
You have an internal problem with the ignition switch

I have replaced the ignition switch. It did not help.

Sadams2
What model Dodge is this?

Disconnecting the battery does not shut off the vehicle, I have to disconnect the coil wire to be able to shut off the truck. When you did this, was the engine running?

If not the switch could be the ignition circuit is shorted to the battery feed going to the ignition switch this the only way for this to happen the wires in the harness could be touching

98 Dodge Ram 1500

In my case I have to pull the Engine Control 2 fuse from the main fuse box under the hood to kill the engine. Yes it it running when I pull the fuse.

Sadams2
With the key off check for power at the coil positive terminal dark green and orange wire-Do you have power

I'll check this out and get back to you.

Sadams2
With the key in the off position, there was no power to the positive side of the coil. By the way, there was also no power to the positive side of the coil with the key in the on position either as far as I could tell.

Sadams2