87 - VOLTAGE REGULATOR?

1987 Dodge Omni

I just replaced my alternator last night after the bearings went out on the old one.

Two hours earlier the car ran fine- motor is a rebuilt with less than 5000K. The only issue was the grinding noise from the alternator bearings.

So when I hook everything back up and tried to fire the motor up, it cranks strong but will not start.

When I lightly hit the accelerator a small 'poof' of white smoke lazily comes out of the carb after it almost starts. But the car will not start.

I have read that voltage regulators can do this sometimes and I am going to pick one up tomorrow. I just wanted to know if I may have missed something- such as the tension on the belt being too tight. I have it set with approx 1/2" of play.

87 Dodge Omni

Regards!
-Marty
Martymarietta

Mr. Marty

Better hold on -getting that regulator cuz the regulator has nothing to do with not starting. Unless the battery is no good.

The car can start w/o the alternator/regulator as long as the battery is good.

Best bet is to check for ignition spark by disconnecting a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine and crank it over -do you have spark? Got spark now look for fuel.