DOESNT START

1989 Dodge Omni

1989 Dodge Omni 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 13500 miles

Hey there fellow omni fanatics I just bought a 1989 dodge omni that when I bought it ran. But now from siting a bit while we got it street legal the car doesnt start. We have already bought a distributor cap and rotor for it and it didnt fix it. We have bought new spark plugs and wires and it didnt fix it. So I have run out of ideas. Maybe a new distributor in general will fix it. We tried the map sensor but itwas fine. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks. I also dont have a muffler on it but that to my knowledge wouldnt effect the car starting but what do I know. Please help if you can. I need this car to get to work!
Omnination

Hey omni man. I had 4 of them. How did you get an injected one? Sure I can help you. See if its getting gas. Cycle key for codes. Need help, tell me. Remember gas, codes, spark, timing belt, old beast. Beauty though. Joe

Ch112063
Hey there I am a new driver fixing my car so could u please tell me how to check those things!

Omnination
Ok here we go. First, you have replaced secondary ignition. Except two things but first things first. Turn key car cranks, correct? Pull wire from cap center(coil wire), have buddy crank it, hold the coil wire(still connected to the coil and hold it 1/4 inch from good ground, like the head or valve cover, it should have a blue spark-high voltage caution, use care, and don, t lean your groin on the car either, it is very active. OK Then with coil connected again use light and look for fuel spray in bore of throttle body, key on. Then off, key on, should spray and crank with spark.
2 things down, let me know-Joe. The black distributor pick-up were bad alot, so make sure that is plugged in and the rotor turns while cranking also, cause the timing belt could be no good also.
Thats enough for now got to finish something, 7 EST. Ok Joe

Ch112063
Hey there again mate. We have found out that when we wiggle to wires that run tot the distributer it stalls out the car. I dont know if this has any relation to what I have said but id like to see if u have any advice on the issue thanks

Omnination
Hi, yep, replace distributor pick up plate. They always went bad causing a tow-in. Keep the old one. No turbo, ok. They are different, get a good one. Ok you are a good troubleshooter, They rarely had a code. I wiggled a lot of those connectors.
Very easy to replace.

Ch112063
Ok thanks for all the help man I am really thankful for all you have done. I will replace that part and if all goes good I will let you know! And if not ill post back on the site to see if we can get it all figured out and all! Thanks alot and I will post back asap!

Omnination
Change to Omni Start. That was a nice drive. Nothing driving it, was like the way it looked. That was my first real car for over 100.00. I wanted an injected one. But now I want a BMW, with no engine or anyway at all. Fat chance I'll ever drive a car like that. My nephew brought one over. I put a timing belt in it in an hour it was so nice and serviceable. Real nicely engineered. I am glad you found that. All those parts went bad. Let me kmow, I always check daily. I didn't know how the message posting worked, but I am getting there. Goodbye for now. Chirp the tires. Lol
The little four window like plate must be tight. In distributor. I peened down the plastic on mine but not on a customers. Later. Joe

Ch112063
Hey there we tested the spark but there was no spark when we did the spark test. Coil does not seem to be receiving voltage from the ECU either. Should the coil be receiving a pulse signal from the ECU? Can a bad distributor be the cause of this issue?

Omnination
Last time it stalled, what has been done? I remember you were going to change the pick-up in the distributor. Now what has been done? Did you replace it? Plugged it in, put on rotor and put on cap. What else? Coils should have 12-8 volts on positive side with key on, but the dwell time is controlled by its pulse(pick-up) so that dwell time is dependant on many inputs. Jump 12 volts to the coil positive. Tell me all the things you have
replaced. Did it ever run? Or did it not start after pick-up or belt or something else? Maybe a fuse link. Burnt. Coils usually stay coils, never hardly ever go bad.

Ch112063
Hey there good news we got the car up and running it sounds greats thanks for all the help. I just have one more question for now. We bought spark plugs the other day to drop into the car, but we came along the question what is the gap for the plugs? So I was wondering if you knew, because from my knowledge you are to set the gap for the plugs. So please let me know thanks.

Omnination