STALLS AT STOP LIGHTS

1988 Dodge Omni

1988 Dodge Omni 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85,000 miles

My vehicle very recently has started to stall at stop lights, and signs, once or twice as I go around a corner at slow speed. If the car stalls it used to start right back up, now if it stalls it is more difficult to start up. I have recently replaced the pcv valve and all of the tubes that lead from the carberator to the valve and the elbow from that cam cover to the pcv valve- the tubes were brittle and broke when I was trying to check the valve. It seems to work better when it hasn't been used for the weekend, or if it is started ahead of time and let to " warm up". I was told by a mechanic to use carborater/fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and to clean the carorator my self. Other problems with the car (listed in case they might help dtermine the probelm.) I have an oil leak coming from the oil pan seal, the exhaust is broken before it reaches the muffler but is patched more or less sufficiently. If there is a good likely hood for the culprit or even a good method in which to check the vehicle any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rankchimp

Hi: Has a check engine light come on? Have you replaced all of the vacuum lines? Listen to the engine to see if you hear a hissing. Also, you may want to check fuel pump pressure to make sure there isn't a problem there.

Let me know what you find.

I had a 82 omni that did the same thing. There was also a " gap" in acceleration from 1/4 to 3/4 gas pedal press. Either I was crawling along or flooring it to get anywhere. I found that as a work around, when I could not accelerate to keep the car running, to treat it like a manual transmission by putting it in neutral and keeping the gas flowing to keep it car running. Didnt always work, but it kept me mobile. There were a few vaccume lines that were severed, with screws into the ends to keep pressure, I guess. I used fuel cleaner every other tank, and tried to adjust the idle speed. No good. My check engine light wasnt on, and eventually, one day, it refused to turn over. I ended up having to scrap it, no one could figure it out. I hope you have better luck, and am curious if you discover the answer to the problem.

Sensenetheru