ENGINE CRADLE AND LOWER BALL JOINTS

2001 Dodge Neon

2001 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 83501 miles

the dealership advised that my engine cradle is rusting and lower ball joints. The estimate to get it repaired is $1500. What is a cradle and does it rust out? How quickly do I need to have it repaired and will my engine fall out?
Janicec

It sounds to me that your being taken advantage of and I would recommend another mechanic shop. The engine is held in place by engine mounts directly mounted to the body frame. There is normally three points on the neon on the top pasenger side of the engine in the middle where the transmission mounts to the engine on the front of the engine behind and below the radiator and one at the top rear dirvers side of the transmission. Your engine will not fall out even if the mounts are bad. The motor will move alot in the engine compartment but thats about it. I have a 98 neon and not one of mine have rust on them and I wouldnt worry about it if it did. The neon has no lower ball joints your car has struts and those are bolted directly to the hub on the wheel. The only ball joints really to worry about are the tie rod ends and that might be what they were talking about. Those can be dangerous if bad but if I were you I would find another garage to go to and dont let them know anything about what the other shop said. Tell them you are going on a road trip and you would like to have a safety inspection done on your car. If it is a reputable shop you will get a honest answer but be aware they might try to advise you to do some work. Come back and let me know what they say after the other shop looks at it and we will go from there. But in my honest opinion you were being taken advantage of. Hope this helps MORT

Morticar