REPLACING THE WATER PUMP ON '96

1996 Dodge Intrepid

'96 Intrepid SE-3.5L-160,000 miles. Does the radiator have to come out? Does the engine have to be jacked up? Does the timing belt have to be replaced? If someone has the proper tools, what would be a ballpark figure of how many working hours it may take? Thanks for reading
Derteesouth

May be a water pump, may be a hose. Use small mirrors and good lighting to get a good look at where it's coming from.

First, make sure that the coolant is coming from inside the tin covers on the front of the engine. My Intrepid had a leak at the o-ring on the bottom of the thermostat housing where it goes to the block. The leak here looked a LOT like the water pump.
The water pump is located behind the covers with the timing belt, and is driven by the timing belt.

To answer your questions, as follows: 1. I would recommend the removal of the radiator and cooling fans. The harmonic balancer will have to be removed, and you'll need the room to get it out.

2. The engine does not have to be jacked up.

3. I would recommend the replacement of the timing belt and tensioner pulley. You've got both out anyway, no time like the present. There should be no additional labor, just parts.

I've done the complete job on mine in about 3 1/2 hrs using my air tools. Hand tools will extend it to about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs.

Oldtech2
Just a 'for what it's worth' note. I couldn't budge the harmonic balancer with a proper puller, so after a couple of calls to the dealer, one of the service managers admitted that they don't bother trying to pull it, they just work it around into position. It is quite a challenge but it works. I have a '96 with the 3.5 and my tensioner pulley had 'blown up'. I also managed without pulling the radiator since I didn't need to pull the balancer. You have probable gotten beyond all this since it is now late August but it might help others.

Bobf