EVAP CODE P0442

2004 Dodge Intrepid

2004 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I have the code P0442 for evap leak, I allready take the car to a shop and they did not fiend a leak and also say the selenoid works fine, what else need to be check to find the problem?
Roque71

There is intake manifold vacuum leak
actually, the code says" small leak" when actually it is big.
A faster technique for finding intake manifold vacuum leaks is to get a bottle of propane and attach a length of rubber hose to the gas valve. Open the valve so you have a steady flow of gas. Then hold the hose near suspected leak points while the engine is idling. If there is a leak, propane will be siphoned in through the leak. The resulting " correction" in the engine's air/fuel ratio should cause a noticeable change in idle speed and/or smoothness, spray around the intake, ruber connection.
If your mechanic have a scan tool, I'm sure he does, look at the Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT) value while you are using carb cleaner or propane to check suspected vacuum leak points. If there is a leak and some of the cleaner or propane is sucked in through the leak, you will see a momentary drop in the STFT reading. This confirms you have found a leak (keep checking because there may be multiple leaks!).

Mathiaso
Thanks for your answer, but why the check engine light stay on for a week and go off for other week and allways is the same code?

Roque71
Evaporation system leak monitor is an intermittent monitor.
Check for charcoal canister malfunction
EVAP hose damage or loose
Cracked fuel tank
poorly sealed fuel tank or poorly accessories attached on fuel tank such as fuel gauge.

Mathiaso
One last question, where can I find a diagram or pictures of the component for the evap for Dodge Intrepid 04

thanks

Roque71
Hello roque71
I have something here that can help.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_purge_solenoid_1.jpg

follow hose connected to the solenoid, it will lead you to the canister.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_solenoid_1.jpg

Mathiaso