TROUBLE REMOVING HALF-SHAFTS, IS THERE

2000 Dodge Intrepid

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L:

I recently noticed noise from the right front wheel. I suspected the wheel bearing because of the low-tone whine. This turned into a clunking snapping sound that would increase in frequency relative to vehicle speed.

I suspected the lower control arm with integrated ball joint, but I replaced these last year. Also, I put the front end up on stands and against my better judgement ran the car in drive so that I could inspect the noise while the wheels are spinning. Sure enough, I heard the wheel whine from the bearing. Curiously, I also noticed that the clicking and snapping sound was comming from the differential on the right side of the trans. Now it's posible that my ears were playing tricks on me and the noise was in fact comming from the wheel bearing since they are very close to each other.

Could the wheel bearing be causing this noise as well?

I wanted to open the differential cover to take a closer look, but on my way in there I ran into a snag. The right inner CV joint stubbornly will not slide off of the differential stub shaft. I know that there is a cir-clip on the stub shaft that retains the inner cv joint, but after 3 hours of prying and a bent pry bar I gave up. Is there a trick to this?

Should I just replace the wheel breaing, forget about the differential for now and hope for the best?

Thanks.
Robkaczor

I know how hard it is sometimes to get this shaft out. I USE A HUGE PRYBAR, AND LEAN INTO IT WHILE IT'S IN THE AIR ON MY LIFT. Sorry about my caps key, I am one handed now but just try the bearing for now, it mat be part of the reason your getting into the final drive and taking that cover off is a no-no. How about filling it with oil at the tagged filler and just putting a bearing in it for now. Ok Let me know if you want to get into the differential before trying. Ok
It may just be the joint your trying to remove that is noisey, and the wheel bearings go bad often.

Ch112063
Thanks, you were right. The bearing solved all of the noise in the right wheel well. It's very surprising to me that the bearing would cause all that clicking and snaping noise. Anyway, thanks again. Saved me some un-needed work!

Robkaczor
Good, After 93, Even a 3-speed transaxle made some strange different wheel bearing sounds, nothing like the usual freight train rolling thunder noise. I once put a set of transfer gears in and then a special final drivs gear silencer, only to find that the bearing(felt fine) was noisey, so it is easy to change(4 bolts) but does not sound the same. Your welcome
Imagine a customer brings their car in, only to find that a 200.00 repair was all it needed and you have 4 hours on it with 450.00 parts already. That is why you cannot buy experience, only earn it. Chrysler used to press it in. Real pain to replace. Good luck.

Ch112063