OVERHEATING

1998 Dodge Intrepid

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

My car overheated I changed the waterpump (and timing belt), thermostat. Radiator is a about 6 months old. It does not register hot when driving now but when I turn it off it will start gurgling and boiling over. I have heard that this system (3.2 litre) is a presurized system. There is a radiator cap on the reserour tank and nothing on the radiator. If the cap is worn and not allow it to pressurize will this cause my problem? I also notised a small hole from the manufacture on the top/back of the r/tank that is not filled. Please help.
Jgharkey

Hi: This sounds interesting. Check both the coolant and oil to make sure nothing is getting into them (coolant into oil / oil into coolant) Next, when the vehicle is hot and you turn the engine off and it boils, check all hoses to make sure none of them have collapsed causing no circulation.

Keep in mind, all auto cooling systems are pressurized and you should never remove the cap when the vehicle is hot.

Let me know what you find.