CAR SMOKING AND A GAS SMELL

1997 Dodge Intrepid

1997 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 97 dodge intrepid. Around last december we had to park the car up until now. Today I cranked it up 3 different times and everytime within a couple minutes of running the car is smoking really bad from the tail pipe and there is strong smell of gas. What could this be? What could I try? Thanks for any and all help.
DodgeDude2666

What color is the smoke, white, blue, black. Also, where is the fuel smell coming from?

The smoke is white and the smell is just in general when the car is running. Also when you pop the hood you can smell it stronger there to

DodgeDude2666
White smoke usually indicates there is coolant getting into the combustion chamber via a bad head gasket. Does the smoke stop if you let it run? Is it low on coolant? As far as the fuel smell, check around the fuel rail, injectors, regulator.

Let me know what you find.

Ok I will and when I first cranked it up the and I cut the car off it didn t want to crank back up like if it was flooded

DodgeDude2666
Something tells me there is a head gasket issue. It isn't a common problem on these vehicles. Let me know what you find.

Is there anyway I can check to make sure it is the head gasket?

DodgeDude2666
Watch if there is coolant consumption, check engine compression. If the white smoke is there even after the engine is warmed up, that is my guess.