CAR WON'T START WHEN IT GETS COLD

1993 Dodge Dynasty

1993 Dodge Dynasty 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 119002 miles

I have a 1993 Dodge Dynasty 3.3 litter engine, and I have a terrible time starting the engine when it gets below 39 degrees and the colder the harder it gets to start the engine up to nine tries befor the engine catches, any Ideas as to why, I went to my mechanic and eveything was fine and no error codes from the ECM.

Help!

Robertj
Robertj

Test the fuel for Moisture (water)
fuel leak?
Is it due for tune up?
Check the battery
if it crank slow it will take longer for it to start

BMRFIXIT
I would also like to add if the above tests out good then it is probably a bad coolant temperature sensor.

Blackop555
And or map sensor

BMRFIXIT
I am sorry it took me so long to get back and read these replies, First this model does not get tune ups as it is self tunning, and I will try the map sensor I'm not sure what a coolent sensor would have to do with a cold engine as it is only when it is cold that it does not want to start starting at 39 degrees or so and like I said the colder the harder it is to start

Robertj
Are you serious, a self tuning engine? The coolant temp sensor should be on top of your list of things to check. If the coolant temp sensor is reading too high of a coolant temp it wont deliver as much fuel needed to start a cold engine. Recheck your findings and get back to us. Remember were here to help and have been doing this a long time my friend.

Mastertechtim
Thanks I'll do that and does my car do a self tune or do I need to have it dune? When I bought the car the used car dealer said it was self tunning and I never questioned the statement, I need to know it is?

Robertj
Its definitely not a self tuning engine. The engine will learn your driving habits but the spark plugs etc still wear out. Wow that was one crafty salesman.

Mastertechtim
As tim says theres no such thing as a self tuning engine.

As with just about all vehicles they will learn you driving habbits.

But a self tuning engine does not exist especially in a 1993 vehicle!

Blackop555
Self timing yes
self tuning defiantly no noway impossible
they have not invented the engine that can change its own spark plugs and filters yet
(that I know !)

the PCM adjust and tune the timing and no need for any adjustment
PCM relay on reading from sensors to determine the fuel ratio
like in older car when you had the choke on 1st start or when cold
all I add is make sure your fuel is free of moisture
and have the tune up checked
good luck

BMRFIXIT
I went to the mechanic today and replaced the sensor and it was not it, it is now apparent that when the mechanic charged the system manualy it would start and when he tried it just with the car systems it would not start, the fuel pump and all that is requered to charge the system worked fine, so now it is somethat is not being done to tell the ECM to charge the system, any Ideas?

Robertj