TRANSMISSION AND OIL PRESSURE

Dodge Durango

I have a 1999 Durango 5.9L V8 engine with 76,000 miles. I believe I have a transmission problem because when I accelerate it seems to take a while to shift to the next gear and the engine roars before it shifts. The check engine light is also on. The oil pressure gage also goes to zero when you slow down enough or come to a complete stop. Do you have any suggestions.
Cocodewayne

I would start by retreiving the codes from the computer.

The level of the tranny fluid is good?
Only ATF + 4 transmission fluid used?
How often was the filter and fluid changed?
Check the fluid in nuetral.

I am not sure about the level of fluid, I just purchased the vehicle in July and have not done much to it. I will get someone to check it for me though. Do you have any suggestions about the oil pressure gage. It goes to zero and the check gages light comes on when I slow down, then it jumps back up when I accelerate.

Cocodewayne
The codes in the computer may have something to say about it.

I would remove the oil sending unit and install a pressure gauge and find out if it is an engine problem or a gauge problem.

To check your fluid, warm the truck to operating temperature, put the parking brake on, put the transmission inot nuetral. Remove the transmission dipstick, wipe it off, re-insert it and remove it a gain and look where the level is. There are indicators on the stick to show you where it should be.

Thank you so much, I will try that and post what happens. Do you know if it is best to go to Auto Zone and have them do a diagnostic to find out why the check engine light is on? Or is there another way to get the codes?

Cocodewayne
Autozone can read the codes. They do not diagnose. They are not technicians, they are parts salespeople. Once you have the codes we may be able to explore a little more. Check the transmission fluid before anything else. Low fluid burns out transmissions.

I got my truck scanned for the codes and it said 3rd to 4th shift malfunction and speed output sensor. Do you think it will cost a whole lot to get those fixed?

Cocodewayne