- KNOCKING NOISE/FEELING IN BRAKE PEDAL

2004 Dodge Durango

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango, mileage of 43,000, V8 (non-Hemi), automatic, 4WD. I bought the truck new in 2004. Over the past few months, I have started to feel and hear a knocking against the floorboard and slightly within the brake pedal when stepping on the brakes to stop. I would start feeling the knocking 45 MPH and under. The knocking feeling would only start after the truck had been driven for awhile that day (evening commute home from work is when it started acting up).

I also had a squealing noise coming from the brakes so the last time that I took it to my dealer for service/maintenance, I mentioned the knocking and the squealing issues. The brake pads were replaced (at my request, to resolve the squealing) and they said that the knocking was no issue and I was probably just feeling the calipers.

The knocking feeling/noise also went away temporarily after the brake pads were replaced. After about two weeks, the knocking feeling/noise returned and with a vengeance. It is now acting up again on the commute home or if I am doing a lot of stopping and starting driving. Now when I turn the wheel and my foot may or may not be on the brake, the knocking noise and feeling can be felt through the brake pedal, floor board, and the steering wheel.

After stopping, once I release the brake and hit the gas pedal, there is one final knock until the next time I use the brake.

I am taking the vehicle back to the dealer on Tuesday for them to look at this issue again and I have a feeling they are going to tell me that it is the calipers and everything is fine. HELP!
Rbgle00

My guess is the rotors were not replaced when the pads were or worse yet they were machined. There are plenty of independent garages that can help you, so don't feel obligated to go to the stealer. Er dealer.

The noise sounds like pulsation or warped rotors more precisely. Without feeling it, it is hard to say. Normally you won't feel it unless your are braking, but in rare cases it is still felt. The calipers may be sticking also, contributing to the problem.

I am inclined to think they will find something, with a little hope, it will be the source. Regardless a technician need to look at it.