OIL PUMP

2001 Dodge Durango

2001 Dodge Durango 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 10000 miles

does the durango have some kind of failsafe that would shut the engine off if the oil pump went out to avoid major damage to the engine? And how long could you possibly drive it with little to no oil pressure before it seized up your engine?
Lil.bird2870

As far as a shut down, I don't believe they do. If you have no oil pressure, the engine will not last long at all. But, let me ask you, why do you feel there is no oil pressure? Are you basing this decision off the oil pressure gauge? Can you hear ticking or knocking in the engine?

Let me know.

Yes I was basing it on the oil pressure gauge and I did her a little ticking. Now this guy that was going to install my new oil pump tells me my engine has seized up and tell me he can get me a rebuild kit for 600.00 and fix my truck for 1500 other people have told me they don't belive my engine has seized up that he is trying to take me to the cleaners by doing no more than install my new pump and then basically selling me back my original engine. I have not seen the truck since he left with it and now I am having trtouble getting me to tell me where I can send triple A to tow it home. Thank you for your help.

Lil.bird2870
DO NOT LET HIM REBUILD THE ENGINE.

Was it running when you took it to him only with a slight tick? If so, the engine didn't seize unless he ran it for an extended period of time without oil pressure. If that is the case, he, being a mechanic, should have known it would seize and should be responsible for the damage.

Find the vehicle before he does cause a problem and get a second opinion.

Let me know what you find. I really want to help you with this. I hate when people try to take advantage of others.