HEADLIGHTS DO NOT COME ON

Dodge Dakota

I have a dodge Dakota 1995. Two days ago while I was driving the headlights went off. If I flick the warning lights the high beams come on but of course only momentarily. All other lights stay on. I took off the 50 amp fuse for the lights in the box on the driver's side inner fender. When I pull the fuse out all light go off. When I put it back all lights came on but no headlights. After a while the headlights came on again on their OWN. I tried to test the fuse by pulling the fuse out again and all lights went out (includeing the headlights) and when I replaced the fuse the headlights came on again. So I figured that the fuse was good and it controls the headlights as well. Tonight the same thing happened again. The head lights will not come on. So I tested the headlight switch by testing it on another dakota and it worked fine. I put it back and still no headlights. All the other lights stay on as they should. Is there a relay or a breaker switch that may need to be replaced? This is the only vehicle that my wife can drive because of her leg problems (the truck sits higher than my mazda MX6 and she can get in and out easier). I need it to fix it as soon as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rdimamb

Does the truck have Daytime Running Lights? If so it could be the DRL module or the high-beam switch, the low beams go through both on a DRL truck. Non DRL just the high-beam switch. There is a violet/white wire that comes out of the high-beam switch, test that for power when the lights arent working. No power- test the light green going into the switch, that is power in for the lights

Jack42
THank you for your help. I traced all of the wires and ultimately we decided to change the light switch again. It was it. The switch was working intermittenly thus suggesting a short somewhere when in fact there was none. In checking the wires I did find some that were corroded and fixed those before they became a problem too.
Thanks for you help again. Very helpful.

Roberto

Rdimamb
No problem, glad you found it

Jack42