SPEEDODOMETER AND CRUISE DON'T WORK

1999 Dodge Dakota

1999 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 82900 miles

I have a 99 Dodge dakota 4X4 with the V-6 auto. Some years ago at mileage 82900 my speedodometer and cruise stopped working. The speedodometer stopped at 50 mph, but would work at higher speeds, and then it went to 60 and higher and 70 and higher and then finally stopped working. My check engine light came on and I had the fault checked and it said my speed sensor was the problem. I replaced the speed sensor, but it still doesn't work. The check engine light went out when I replaced it, but came back on after a couple more start ups of the motor. Please help. Gonna get a ticket for speeding some day. LOL
Moparlvr340

Have you had the computer rechecked? Is it showing the same code? Does the CC work now?

Yes, I re-checked the computer and the same fault code still comes up. Is there any gears in the dashboard that could of worn out? Also I noticed that the wiring from the speed sensor goes up around by the engine with a enclosed type of unit there. I don't know what that is. The repair manual I have shows nothing about what that is. Also, the speed sensor is a magnetic type of device, is there something I should clean inside the tranny maybe. I'm at a total loss on this matter. Thanks for any info that might help.

Moparlvr340
Is the speed sensor on the trans or transfer case on this truck?

The speed sensor is located on the tail shaft of the transmission before the transfer case. Enclosed is a pic of the other unit I had in question. It appears that the wiring from the speed sensor goes up to this unit on the back side of it. What is this unit and could it be causing my problem ? And is there anything mechanical in the instrument cluster on the speed odometer that makes the needle move ? Also I did in the past spray the wired connection to the speed sensor with brake cleaner, thinking maybe it could of been a bad connection problem. No luck there either.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/495619_unit_2.jpg

Moparlvr340
It appears to be a rheostat of some type. I believe it determines how much power is sent to the speedo to make it work.

So, in your opinion, do you think this rheostat could be my problem? By looking at it, I can't figure out how it comes off.

Moparlvr340
I have never replaced one. So, I'm going to say no. It could be the speedo itself. However, from the picture you sent, the item looks to screw into the part it is attached to. See if it will unscrew so I know what is in it.