GAS GAUGE DOES NOT WORK ON INSTRUMENT CLU

1995 Dodge Dakota

1995 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 205, 00 miles

I changed the Fuel Pump, was told maybe pump sending unit. Gas Gauge still not working with new Fuel Pump. Changed the Dash cluster (w/tach), now ABS Brake light is on, and Gas gauge still not working. I'm lost, not sure what to do next. I've got a new Fuel Pump, new Dash Instrument Cluster, and not only does the fuel gauge not work, but now the ABS brake light is on " HELP PLEASE"!
George Kyriazis

First of all, the ABS light circuit is monitored by the ABS computer. If you turned on the ignition switch while the cluster was removed, there will be a diagnostic fault code in memory and the light will be on. You will have to find a mechanic with the Chrysler DRB2 or DRB3 scanner that can access the ABS computer to read and erase the fault code. There are a few aftermarket scanners that can do this now too.

How, (and why), did you replace the fuel pump? If the engine was running, you didn't need a pump. Many aftermarket pumps are just the pump and motor that you will have to stick in the housing. This has nothing to do with the gauge sending unit.

The easiest way to troubleshoot this circuit is to ground the dark blue wire with yellow stripe at the pump electrical connector, then turn on the ignition switch. If the fuel gauge goes to full, the sending unit or one of the ground wires in the connector is the problem. The most common problem is an intermittent connection on the float arm but the typical symptom is the gauge goes to empty when the fuel level is between 1/2 and 1/4. It usually reads correctly above 1/2 tank and below about 1/4 tank. The fix is to simply pop the float arm off and bend the contact a little, then snap it back on.