POWER STEERING PUMP

2006 Dodge Caravan

Steering problem
2006 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 51000 miles

My power steering pump makes a terrible noise at start up then slowly goes away after warming up. Is there any thing I can try before replacing pump?
Christoefu

I never heard of any additive that can quiet a noisey steering pump down, just check its fluid. It may be low, I've heard of changing it, but never saw it quiet a loud steering pump gear or front bearing. OK I'll look around and if I see anything I'll let ya know. OK

Ch112063
Hi,

Common issue with these vans is the filter in the power steering resvoir gets clogged and prevents normal fluis flow in the system.

You can replace the resevoir to remedy this, or what I did as my van has some 92,000 miles was to gently put a long thin phillips screwdriver down the throat of the resevoir at 90 degree intervals and gently dislodged the filter to allow for normal fluid flow.

You may also need to add fluid to the proper level.

For me, this corrected the problem immediately, and that was about 3 months ago now.

Dave

Sammydad1