STARTER?

2005 Dodge Caravan

2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

The engine won't start. I have cleaned the battery terminals already. The lights, etc come on, so I know the battery is okay. When I turn the key, it goes,
click, click, click, click but won't turn over.

Starter?
Solenoid?

Thanks,
Amy
Amygarwich

Are you sure the battery has a full charge? Also, I need you to test something. Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check the smaller wire on the starter for voltage. When the key is turned, you should have 12 volts to that wire. If you do, remove the starter and have it bench tested at a parts store. It most likely is a bad solenoid and needs replaced.

Let me know what you find.

If the battery is the problem, would it make a click, click, click, click, click sound when you tried to start it?

I know when the battery is weak it is still possible for the lights, etc to come on - which they do.

My husband thinks that it wouldn't make the clicking sound when you turn the key to start it if the battery was the problem. ?

Amygarwich
Hi: Your husband is correct. When the battery gets too low, it will make a clicking sound. Try this. Turn the headlights on. Have a helper watch the headlights when you try to start it. Do they get really dim? What you could do is remove the battery and have it load tested at a parts store that sells batteries. They will most likely do it for free hoping to sell a new battery.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Just letting you know, we took the battery to a parts store. The guy said that the battery was dry. He put water in it and is letting it charge over night.

We didn't realize that you still had to put water in the battery. We thought that was gone away with years ago.

We'll see how it goes.

Amygarwich
Hi,

Just letting you all know that we got a new battery
and the van runs great! That's all it was.

Thanks for the help!

Amygarwich