CLICKING NOISE

1998 Dodge Caravan

Noises problem
1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

Hi, clicking noise on front drivers side.
When I put it in reverse.I press on the gas pedal I hear a clicking noise coming from the front wheel on the drivers side.
what might this be. IT doesnt do it all the time only certian times. Only when I hav e to back up it clicks. Like a snapping noise I replace the break pads, last month. What does a unal versile joint sound like/would this also be my transmission, going. Any help would be appreciated.
Nelly393

I don't think it is the transmission, but you have a lot a miles on it. On this site is a section about noises that will help you close in on the noise and once you can duplicate it, the hard part is over. Both inner and outer constant velocity joints are prone to that type of noise including the boots on them. Inspect the axle for worn parts. Make sure the brakes are not the problem first using the noise section available on this site. There are some electrical components on your transmission that can make clicking noises and you would hear them from the drivers seat. In reverse.

Ch112063