ALTERNATOR REMOVAL & REPLACEMENT

1997 Dodge Caravan

1997 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have released the serpentine belt's tension, tensioner pulley, and disconnected the alternator and electrical connections. Removed the " accessible" alternator bracket bolts, however, the bracket it still to stiff to move.

I cannot remove the alternator from the under the hood. There is just not enough available clearance / room to extract it and complete this work.
JStarz

Hello JStarz

I suppose this is a 3.0L Engine.

Remove the windshield wiper/motor module assembly

Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner clockwise, and slip the belt off of the pulley .

then remove the bolt securing the top of the alternator to the bracket ...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_a1_1.jpg

as well as the bottom bolt securing the alternator to the lower pivot bracket

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_a2_1.jpg

With both mounting bolts removed, lift and rotate the alternator to access the wiring harness

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_3_3.jpg

Mathiaso
* * * Response Message * * *

While I appreciate your response, the information provided is not for my 1997 Dodge Caravan. It has a 3.3 liter engine and a very different alternator bracket which is not reflected in your answer's pictures. Mine has a large black bracket approx 12" high x 6" wide that faces left towards the pulleys in addition to a top stablizing bracket that covers the alternator completely.

The wiper model referred to does not appear anywhere in the pictures. I have tried to remove the grille assemble under the wipers, however, there is a large tray or panel that still in blocking the removal of the alternator.

There is just no room to affect this repair without being able to loosen the belt tensioner assembly which is virtually impossible to access the mounting bolt / nut.

Would you please review this situation and advise accordinlgly.

Regards,

JStarz

JStarz
Hello JStarz
3.3 and 3.8 represent 46% and 3.0 represent 56% and 2.4 the rest. I guessed 56% because of lack of more information and I chose the highest % trying to save time.

Thank you for giving more information.

3.3 L

Remove the bolt securing the top of the alternator mounting bracket to the engine air intake plenum.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_new1_1.jpg

# Remove the bolts securing the outside of the alternator mounting bracket to the alternator mounting plate.

# Remove the bolt securing the top of the alternator to the mounting bracket.

# Remove the alternator mounting bracket from the vehicle.

# Rotate the alternator toward the dash panel.

# Unplug the push-in field wire connector from behind the alternator.

# Remove the B+ nut and wire from behind the alternator.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_new2_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_new3_1.jpg

# Remove the bolt securing the bottom of the alternator to the lower pivot bracket.

# Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

To install:

13. Install the alternator into position on the vehicle's engine.

14. Install the bolt securing the bottom of the alternator to the lower pivot bracket.

15. Connect the B+ wire and tighten the retaining nut to 75 inch lbs. (9 Nm).

16. Plug in the push-in field wire connector onto the back of the alternator.

17. Rotate the alternator forward away from the dash panel.

18. Install the alternator mounting bracket in position on the vehicle.

19. Install the bolt to secure the top of the alternator to the mounting bracket.

20. Install the bolts to secure the outside of the alternator mounting bracket to the alternator mounting plate.

21. Install the bolt to secure the top of the alternator mounting bracket to the engine air intake plenum.

22. Tighten all of the alternator mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

23. Install the accessory drive belt. Be sure the drive belt is correctly routed on the engine and correctly seated on all of the pulleys.

24. Install the windshield wiper/motor module assembly.

25. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

26. Verify the charging rate of the alternator.

Mathiaso
* * * My Clearance Problem Persists * * *

While the descriptions are right on, I am still not sure of how to create enought room - specifically, how to I remove that mounting bracket.

I have removed virtually all of the facing bolt, however, I cannot seems to see or get to the Tensioner Bracket that is holding the bracket firmly in place and I cannot move or remove it, which I believe I need to do to create enough working room to extract the alternator.

As of now, the clearance between the inside front fender and the engine is not enough to free it up.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again,

JStarz

Is HowStill

JStarz

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again,

JStarz

JStarz
Hello JStarz

Sorry for the delay
Have you tried to turn the bracket in different position?
What is in your way to remove the mounting bracket?
Remove what ever is holding the bracket.
I did not omit any removal instruction or maybe you forget one step. Do you have anybody around to discuss the removal instruction? Because if you do not read the instruction carefully nobody will tell you the right way.
Let me know how you're doing.

Mathiaso
I just cannot remove or loosen the Alternator Bracket even though I the Alternator is completely disconnected from the car.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/515411_1997_Dodge_Caravan_46384_new2_2x1_1.jpg

[img]

The Tensioner Support Bracket Appears To Be “Sandwiching” The Alternator Bracket. I Have Removed Virtually All The Bolts From The Bracket But It Will Not Move And Any Direction.

There Appears To Be A 15mm Nut Behind The Alternator Bracket Which Is Impossible To Access. I can feel it, but not see it..

JStarz

It is written there" deep socket" ?
You need deep socket to get to it.
It is also written" pivot" you need to pivot what is in your way to get the deep socket inn there.
Am I right or wrong?

Mathiaso
Hi,

In reviewing your response, Yes, It does say Deep Socket", however, I believe in the illustration it is referring to the Alternator's Bottom Bolt.

The illustration, that I updated, highlighting in Red the - Serpentine Belt Tensioner Assembly - which is, I believe holding the Alternator Bracket against the motor making it impossible to move. That is the problem I am experiencing. There is virtually no access to the rear area of this assembly that I can just barely touch and feel a 15mm nut holding it on. I cannot see it from under the car and can just feel of it from the top. There is no way to apply a Deep Socket to it. If any thing, a shallow swivel flexible socket would be needed to affect it removal. That's why I am seeking assistance, technique and advise from someone who has done this repair before and knows just what I am up against.

Additionally, I have removed the Tensioner-Pulley to provide more room. But the clearance between the engine and the inside fender well is just not large enough to extract the alternator. There is just no vertical clearance to remove it from the top. The windshield wiper panel is blocking that area along with the AC lines running over the alternator.

I need to resolve this issue as soon as possible and cannot proceed as it stands now.

I would like this issue be referred-on if possible.

Regards,

JStarz

JStarz
On the 3.3 and 3.8 Mit1 . Com says you have to remove the windshield wiper housing, accessory belt, and generator mount bracket

Page 1 of 2