NO SPARK IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

1986 Dodge Aries

1986 Dodge Aries 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

Hi I have a 1986 Dodge Aries and it wont fire up I have spark everywhere except for the distributor cap and wires, we have changed every part involved with the distributor and still same result even a different cap. Everything is turning inside the cap so I dont know what else to do or try.
Prevost0034

The spark enters the cap in the tower from the center of the coil. The coil generates the high voltage spark because of the primary circuit (two small connections) that surrounds the coil. The primary circuit turns that spark on and off by way of the power module (engine computer). The power module gets its spark control using the hall effect pickup in the lower part of the distributor. So check the coil primary circuit with an ohmmeter, it should be around 6-12 ohms. The primary to center tower should be a whole lot of ohms, so don't worry about that. Make sure that the wires are ok from the coil, pick-up, center terminal to the engine module. The pickups went bad alot. The coil and computer also went bad but not as much. Make sure the fuse links are okay under the hood. And if you put a test light on one of the small primary terminals of the coil while cranking you can see if the computer is turning the coil on and off correctly. So if it is than the coil or coil wire may be the problem. Make sure the distributor that you put in does not have a window in one of the little metal pieces(four), that is for turbo only. If all else fails check the codes by turning the key on off on off on and read the lamp codes from the check engine lamp. Good luck. Bye. Write down codesw then ask what do these codes mean for your next answer. When car is fixed remember how handy this website was for you. If it was.

Ch112063