ALWAYS OVERHEATING

1985 Daihatsu Charade

Engine Cooling problem
1985 Daihatsu Charade Front Wheel Drive Manual 114000 Km

I have changed the thermostat, changed the radiator cap and fixed a small leak in the radiator. However, my car has decided that it is not satisfied and still wants to over heat. I am thinking it is the water pump. Would I bt correct in this assumption? Or would it be something else?
Fatdog222

HI there, would be getting the radiator cleaned & flow tested as it may be blocked, also if fitted with electrical cooling fans are these turning on when the temp starts to rise?

Mhpautos
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I will be as detailed as possible in my answer.

I have no electric cooling fans fitted I wasn't even aware they existed lol. I think that a radiator clean and flow test is a good idea as there is some rust residue in my overflow which could suggest a block somewhere. It does make a funny noise when it starts like a rattling sound under the hood. (I should have added that to my initial post). I am also doing the leak test tonight with a white piece of cardboard to see if there are any leeks and where the leaks are comming from. Oh and further information about the car. The engine number is a G11 if that helps.

Fatdog222
Hi there, if the radiator proves to be ok, your only option then will be to remove and check the water pump, the leak test may also show something, let me know how you get on, Oh, just feel the fan movement is there any slop in the water pump bearings?

Mark

Mhpautos
Cool as so I ran a flow test and it bullbled over like a mother lol. From the information I can find over the net I have a feeling that I have " blown my head gasket" or have a crack in it. If this turns out to be true how hard will it be to find a replacement for such an old car in New Zealand?

Fatdog222
Hi there,

If this is bubbling up at idle then there is a fair chance that the head gasket or head has a problem, normally these will repair with out much of a problem, most cracked can be welded and if just a gasket the head can be check for bend and warp which can also be easily fixed, if you are near or in a major city this should not be a problem.

Mhpautos