AUTOMAT GEAR MALFUNCTION

2002 Citroen C5

2002 Citroen C5 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 59000 miles

Hi

My Citroen C5 is sometimes giving faultmessage 'Automat gear box fault' and automat gear and triptronic is out of function, and sercice light goes on.
This happens in the first 5 - 10 mins after start and engine is 'cold', typically when going to work each morning. To get automatic gear back to normal I just stop engine and start again.
The fault seems to occur when scitching up from 2nd to 3rd or down from 4th to 3rd gear. If I use manual switching (triptronig) I normally avoid this fault.
And also when engine is getting warm, all OK.
Another issue is that the engine judder at 2000RPM in 4th gear.
Konky

Have the vehicle plugged into a diagnostic computer to locate the actual cause of the transmission fault

Dave H
Well, I've had the vehicle delivered for service, and they plugged into a diagnostic computer, but no fault found, not in engin nor in transmission, so they have tryed to change lambda sonde (for the judder fault) no change.
I have also got the gearbox oil change as it seems rather ditry, still no change, although the gearshift seems a bit more smoother than before.
So as you can understand, I'm a bit worried, when the 'experts' at the service garage can't find any error code, I just have to ask other experts : )

B. Rgds

Konky
With the combination of dirty ATF (auto trans fluid) and the judder I suspect you have burn't clutch plates inside the transmission .. the transmission uses seperate clutch plates for the different gear changes .. burn't clutch plates will not show up on a diagnostic check !! I would advise having the transmission reconditioned

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_608.png

Dave H