CLUNKING NOISE WON'T GO AWAY

2005 Chrysler Town and Country

Suspension problem
2005 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

Replaced sway bar bushings and lower control arms. Still clunks when go over bad crack in road. Going to try sway bar links. Garage said struts were fine. Tie rod ends may be worn, as never changed, but dont think they would clunk like that? What think?
Lee.niven

Sway bar bushings and links very common failure and always replaced them together

BMRFIXIT
OK. Now I also replaced the tie rod ends and sway bar links. Still clunks.

Now am told " maybe it is the struts afterall". It sure is. Did the bounce test and that is the clunk. '

All done, I now have a new front end. Figure I can replace the front struts for around $450 for parts and tools(Spring Compressor necessary?)

Lee.niven

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_getimage_1.jpg

for about $300 you can buy fully assembled set of front struts no need for tool (spring compressor)

BMRFIXIT
Found a set for $169 so bought them. Got the new Spring Compressor tool from Advance Auto with lifetime warranty and nice case for $52.

I figure 2 hrs per side, as never having done this before.

Lee.niven
Could it be the strut mounts and not the strut that is worn out? The dealer said they replace a lot of mounts but not many struts. What is your experience?

Lee.niven
Does the mount come with the strut typically or will I have to order separate?

Lee.niven
If you are to go with the new fully assembled strut you would have a new strut, coil spring and strut mount and there would be no need for any special tools
set of two complete struts as shown in the picture (above ) is about $300

BMRFIXIT
If replacing just the strut you will get just the strut in the box and any thing else would need to be ordered (should be available and no special order is needed )

if buying a fully assembled strut all should be together all you have to do is remove out the car and open the box, install
and should have it aligned after

BMRFIXIT
How hard is it to replace strut mounts in the 2005 T& C? Time and Skill wise. Any special tools needed?

Lee.niven
To replace strut mount need to remove the strut out and use a special coil spring press to press down the coil and remove and replace the mount

BMRFIXIT