INSTRUMENT ILLUMINATION ON C

2002 Chrysler Town and Country

2002 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95,700 miles

HELLO,

I JUST PURCHASED THIS CAR TWO WEEKS AGO AND I AM NOT SURE IF THESE CONTROLS SHOULD LIGHT UP AT NIGHT. HEATER CONTROL POSITIONS FOR FLOOR, VENT ETC. ALSO THE LIGHTS FOR THE HOME LINK FOR GARAGE DOOR OPENER CONTROLS. WHERE DO THESE VOLTAGES COME FROM AND ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO ILLUMINATE?

THANKS,

BILL
BILLANDSYL2

Hi: The heater control section should light-up for you, but I don't believe the home link should. I believe there are bulbs for the heater control unit (behind the dash) that may be bad. Let me know what you find.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.
I think I may know what the deal is. There are very small LED lights that show the position of the heater controls etc. But the actual description that indicates the mode you are in ie Floor, Vent, Floor & Vent, Defrost etc do not illuminate and I guess that they are not suppose to which I think is a big mistake on Chrysler's part you can count the clicks and memorize where the positions are for night driving.
I could be wrong, but I don't think I am,

Thanks again,

Bill

BILLANDSYL2
Bill: I agree with you. It would be a mistake not to light that area, but I think it should. If you find something different, let me know.

Thanks,

Hi again Joe,

I talked with someone with the exact same car, year,
model etc. He showed me that all of the controls for heater, air conditioner, Home Link for garage door openers and everything else is illuminated whenever you turn on any lights day or night. I bought a Haynes manual, but the only thing I can find that may be the panel lights states " Cluster Illum (7 bulbs)" I think this signal comes from the Body Control Module, but I am not sure if these are the lights for the center console background lights.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

BILLANDSYL2
Yes, I believe those are the lights that are in question. And yes, the BCM does run them. If the bulbs are good, most times the BCM is the cause.

HEY JOE,

I WENT TO THE EDMUNDS FORUM AND A MESSAGE THERE SAID THAT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TO REMOVE THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES AND THIS WILL REBOOT THE BCM. AND HE WAS 100% CORRECT!
ADD THIS FIX TO YOUR INFORMATION BANK.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP,

BILL

BILLANDSYL2
Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. Have a great Christmas, and if you have questions in the future, let me know.