CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WITH TRAN

2002 Chrysler Town and Country

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 2002 Chrysler T& C that is frequently getting a check engine light shortly after startup. Often, when this light comes on, the transmission will not shift beyond second gear " sometimes". The diagnostics codes indicate an internal problem with the TCM, but sometimes the check engine light comes on and all works normally.
KE5HAM

Cycle ignition ON OFF ON OFF ON
read trouble codes
most likely speed sensor and or more common the tranny solenoid pack
codes should help

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_23.jpg

BMRFIXIT
KE5HAM, did you find out what was wrong? I have the same year/make/model with the same issue. I changed the speed sensors but this did not fix the issue. Did it need the solenoid or TCM? Thanks!

Haik917
Yes, this issue required a replacement TCM. It digressed to the point that the vehicle would only travel in "limp mode" to get me anywhere. This meant I could not get beyond second gear. Which was totally unacceptable when trying to travel on the freeways.
Hope this helps. I did find a place that had replacement TCM modules cheap. Contact Jaime @ carparts direct. 1-866-554-7278 and tell him I sent you (John Taylor - Texas)he will treat you right.

KE5HAM
Thanks John!

Haik917