CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY AIR FILTER PROBLEM

2002 Chrysler Town and Country

Air Conditioning problem
2002 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 116700 miles

Where can I view the a/c system schematic (diagram)?
I'm trying to determine what function is served by the cabin a/c filter. Is it a system-critical device or merely a " feel-good addition". For this I need the a/c system schematic. I'm considering NOT replacing it.

My thanks for your advice.

- h52
Hawkeye52

Filters out particulates from outside air if you don't mind breathing smog then don't change see diagrams for location and removal

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_699.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Grafic_3_167.jpg

Any chance of a remake of M*A*S*H

Docfixit
I interpret your comment to mean that the cabin filter does not impact the A/C system, but simply supplies " cleaner air" to the occupants. I read on another forum that a Japanese car manufacturer included cabin filters to keep dust particles from clinging to the wet surfaces of the evaporator and subsequently corroding it.

Has that ever been a problem with Chrysler vehicles?

- h52

Hawkeye52
No known problem BUT EVAP leaks are caused by an acid that forms if improper repair is made and moisture gets in that dryer cannot absorbe.

Docfixit
Docfixit, thanks for your reply. I have determined that condensate from the evaporator is not draining properly and is instead overflowing onto the cabin air filter and dripping from the bottom air filter door.

The A/C drain is a short (about 2-1/2 inch x 1" dia.) Plastic(?) Tube which protrudes from the lower firewall into the engine compartment. It seems to have an internal screen or grille, because I was not able to push a 1/4" diam. Rod into it.

Q. Can this tube be pulled out? (I.E, is it a simple press-fit?)

- h52

Hawkeye52
Try a piece of 14 or 12 gague wire. Will be able to bend through the 45 of drain tube

Docfixit