WATER PUMP/RADIATOR REPLACEM

1997 Chrysler Town and Country

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 214000 miles

I am about to replace the radiator and the water pump on my van. I can manage the radiator, but are there any tricks to removing the water pump and installing the new one?
Julietur

Hello –

To better assist you is your model the LX, LXi, or SX? Also what is your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN?

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Witch V6 do you have,
3.3L very easy and simple to do.
3.0L its a different story and game
let me know

BMRFIXIT
LXi, 3.8, eighth digit of VIN is " L"

Julietur
Hello –

I have attached the info we have in our manual………. Not much and no pics…………

WATER PUMP
Removal & Installation
1. Drain cooling system. Remove drive belt. Remove right front lower fender shield. Remove water pump pulley. Remove bolts, water pump and " O" ring.
2. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use NEW " O" ring. Tighten bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Fill and bleed cooling system. See COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.

The biggest advice I can give you is get a piece of cardboard and draw out the water pump so as you take a bolt out you put it in the hole where it goes back into.

Clean the surface really good but don’t gouge it.

I would replace the radiator cap and any hoses connected to the water pump and really check out the radiator hoses. Also look at the heater hoses. The system is drained…hoses are not that much and worth doing it now while it is not freezing out and the system is drained.

Make sure you get a good 50/50 mix.

Torque FtLbs/Nm
Air Compressor Bracket-To-Water Pump Bolt 30 (41
Water Pump Pulley Bolt 21 (29
Water Pump Bolt 105 (11.9)

COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING
1. To bleed cooling system, remove engine temperature sending unit. Engine temperature sending unit is located in front of cylinder head, near thermostat housing, just below spark plug wire holder.
2. Fill cooling system until coolant reaches engine temperature sending unit level. Install and tighten engine temperature sending unit to 60 INCH lbs. (6.8 N.M). Finish filling cooling system.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Water_pump_1.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS