LX WIPER PROBLEM

1998 Chrysler Sebring

Something weird happend to my car recently. I had a amplifier installed and it was working great. Couple days after the amplifier, my two head lights (low beam) and fog lights blew out. Also the wiper turns on automatically when the key is in the run position and I can't out it. I have fixed all the problems except the wiper situation. All the fuses are good so I can't figure this out. Again as I turn the key to accessories, or turn on the car, the wiper comes on even though the switch is turned off. Help anyone?
Jonathanbfbze

Whoever installed the amp has crossed wires in your fuse box. The power to run the wiper motor is turned on and off by a relay, not by the actual switch you use.

They have crossed wires so that the relay is stuck in the energised position. The power surge that blew out your lights might have fused the relay.

Remove the relay and see if the wipers stop. If so, get a new relay, if plugging a new one in makes the wipers come back on by themselves, you'll have to check the wiring under the dash to see which one is sending power to the relay when it shouldn't be.

Bear in mind, one leg of the relay should always have power (which is sent to the wiper motor when the relay is activated). The other legs usually don't have power, grounding one will cause the relay to activate, powering one of the unpowered legs.

You'll need to check both the ground and hot wires around the relay's plugin spot to see how it's crossed.

Junkymagi
Hey junkymagi thanks for the quick reply. However, it looks like my wiper doesn't have the relay switch under the hood in the fuse box. Is this usual? I think the only relay will be where the lever is to start the wiper. Do you think this might be the problem of the short out?

Jonathanbfbze
There should be a relay then in the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side. Because of the amperage drawn by the electric motor, it won't be controlled directly by the lever you use to turn the wipers on/off.

Junkymagi