ALTERNATOR OR ???

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 65000 miles

Hi. We recently changed the battery, after my wife had to get it jump started by one of her girl friends who crosswired for a bit I am now finding out and caused some arcing and smoke and the whole bit. Sigh. Anyways I replaced the battery and after running for a little bit the battery indicator came on so tested the out put under load and the reading was 11.3 volts, indicating an apparent bad alternator. Purchased a new Mitsubishi Alternator and now I still get an 11.3 volt reading under load. And btw. These alternators are a pain for a home garage repair.
Rogerduq2

Hi rogerduq2, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation and selecting us as your auto repair site Feel free to ask questions at anytime and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2010

On the fuse block lower left front of dash check fuse no.10 and 13 also at power distribution center on left side of engine compartment fuse no.13, also check the fusible link dark green between the starter and alternator-if all these fuses are okay-your problem could be coming from the computer field generation driver circuit within-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c1_17.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c2_16.jpg

Is this the pcm or a diff part that you are referring to. Lol

Rogerduq2
Yes sir its the PCM also known as ECM, ECU, VCM, etc-called the computer

. Looks like the green wire/fusible link is burned out. What ohms should I be looking for and what amperage would this be carrying it appears to be 18ga wire etc

Rogerduq2
. Looks like the green wire/fusible link is burned out

If you stab it with a test light before and after the link the test lite should lit both ways if its good-

Yes we found the fuse link between the starter and alt is melted down. Where do you even find 10 gauge fuse link, Autozone et all does not seem to carry it, is there an in-line fuse that would hold on this and if so what amperage would it need?

Rogerduq2
Fusible links are 4X smaller than the wire it protects-In your case I'll use no.18 AWG

So I can just remove the old 10G Fuse link that is melted and replace with a piece of standard 18 WGA wire then if I interpret this correctlt

Rogerduq2
Yes Sir-affirmative on that

Thank you. Will give it a go.18 guage is quite a bit thinner than the 10 guage fuse link that was in there. Lol

Rogerduq2
Page 1 of 2