JEEP CHEROKEE PROBLEM

1988 Chrysler Other

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. I replaced the Ignition Module, Coil, the Automatic Spark, the Fuel Pump, and the Computer. My problem is, it will run for a few weeks, you park it and shut it down, the next day when you go to start it, it wont start. You leave it alone for a couple of days, And then it starts right up. It will run for a few weeks (maybe a month), and it does the same thing again.

Make: Chrysler (or AMC)
Model: 1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0L
Year: 1988
Mileage: 250,000 Miles
Engine Size: 4.0L

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Please get back to me ASAP.
DragonKing

Hi,

I saw your post & thought I'd reply that I also have that problem. I've taken mine to 3 different mechanics. 1 said it was the throttle switch & he replaced it. Seemed to work but, after a few months the problem started all over again. If I find out what the problem is I'll let you know & hopefully you'll do the same : -)

AngelaLynn
Okay. Then if I find the problem, I'll post it on the website. I'm going to be replacing the Crank Sensor, between the engine and the transmission. There about $30. If thats the case, I will let them know if this problem is resolved. Thank you.

DragonKing
Hi,
I had the basically the same problem recently with a 85 ford ranger. To make a long story short, it was the" pick up coil" in the distributer. I don't know if this will fix your Chereokee or not but I feel pretty sure that the crank sensor is not the problem. They usually want run at all if it goes bad. The pick up coil cost around $47 at Autozone. Let me know if this helps.
Thanks, Roger

Samuelje93
Hi,

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I will definately give that a shot : -)

Angela : D

AngelaLynn
Please let me know if you try it and what the results are. I'm having problems of my own, but of a different nature with a 89 cherokee. I'm beginning to beleive what I heard Jeep stands for: J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

Anyway, good luck with the problem you're having.
. Roger.

Samuelje93
AWWWW.I'm a Die Hard Jeep lover! I've only owned/will ever own Jeep. You only start running into prolems when you but an older one and the previous owners didn't take care of them.

If you don't mind me asking. What problems are you experiencing currently? I may have had them myself.

Angela

AngelaLynn
I have a 89 Cherokee with problems.
If you would, please look at my question listed as " 89 Cherokee loses power on acceleration.&Quot; Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, roger

Samuelje93
I have an 88 cherokee, and it was " randomly" not starting at times. It would turn over but never fire. It was totally random, but more predominant in the morning when it was cold. Heres how I fixed it.

Dragonking is on the right track in that the crank sensor on this model is typically the culprit of this. What happens is that the crank sensor is so damn ginger on the side of the bell housing that over time it shakes and wiggles slightly out of position. Because the sensor works magnetically and has VERY tight tolerances when it is out of place the teeth on the wheel inside the bell housing do not trip the sensor, hence no " spark" is sent to the ingnition system so, even though theres fuel in the line, there is no signal telling the plugs to fire.

This sensor is a pain in the butt, as it only has to be out of alignment by a micro-hair to not work. Ive talked to many a jeep expert who said this is not uncommon on these model jeeps to happen. Ive found that when it happens to me, I can literally grab the wire harness that runs from this sensor into the engine compartment and give it a slight tug and bingo it starts.

Not sure if thats your problem, but worth a shot.

Gthopkinson