WINDSHIELD WIPERS NOT WORKING

1992 Chrysler New Yorker

1992 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Windshield wipers stopped working; have replaced motor and fuse; checked switch at steering column and wiper relay and both are good. When I turn the switch on I can hear the relay go on and off depending on the position of the switch setting. I checked for electrical current at plug to motor end and there is some current; what else could be the problem?
Ghpcar

Put the wipers on steady slow or fast, then instead of measuring the voltage at the connector, measure the voltage on the wiper motor case. The voltmeter or test light should be grounded to the engine or battery negative post.

When you find voltage on the case, push on the mounting plate and the motor will start to run. The plate is mounted on three rubber isolators to dampen vibration. To get a ground, there is a brass strip riveted to the plate by the lower left bolt. A ring is burned around that strip under the bolt head. Don't bother trying to clean it up. That rarely lasts. Instead, bolt a new ground wire to the mounting plate and bolt the other end to the body sheet metal.

One other note. There must be 12 volts on two terminals at the motor. One from the wiper switch, and one whenever the ignition switch is turned on for the " park" circuit to keep the motor running after the wiper switch is turned off. If one of those voltages is missing, suspect a blown fuse due to your old motor was shorted. It was quite common for one of the contacts on the rotary switch in the motor geartrain to overheat. It would melt into the plastic gear when the motor was turned off. The next time the motor started to run, that contact would get stretched and bent up until it touched the metal cover. That popped the fuse. Chances are your old motor is ok if you have the ground problem. It isn't likely to develop both problems at the same time.