OVER HEATING

1992 Chrysler New Yorker

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

I can run my car for an hour, it doesn't go past 1/2 way mark on the temp. If I drive it for like 10-15 mins in town, it heats up super fast, at times it max's out, gauges start sounding and coming on. At this point its boiling over (out of the coolant reservoir). I recently replaced the Rad with an aluminum rad, replaced all hoses and lines, rad cap (16lbs), thermostat.

The rad fans don't come on at all, at any giving time. The rad relay I suspect to be no good. How can I go about finding out what is cause this overheating, while avoiding a heavy shop bill. How can I determine if its the Water pump, or a blown head gasket (it doesn't smoke, leak, or lack power in any way or form)?

Everything else on the car works in tip top shape (except the reverse lamp relay, both reverse lights are currently not working either, but I can handle that). The body Km's are 227,000, but the engine (and wiring) and transmission only have 87000 km's (replace happened at 140,000 km's on the odometer).

Any more info needed, let me know A.S.A.P.
BBest

Hi there,

I will post some information on the cooling fan relay as soon as I get access to the data base later today,

Mhpautos
Ok, sounds good. Um, any idea f its a head gasket promblem, or a water pump? ( Im hoping it might just be the thermostat, I currently use a 195, and will be switching it to a 165 tomorrow).

BBest
Hi there,

If you are not loosing coolant and there is no miss fire in the engine or general roughness or excessive white smoke or steam in the exhaust, I would feel that the head gasket will be OK, you can have the coolant tested for exhaust gasses, this is a sure fire way to determine if the head is the problem, change the thermostat and I will post the info on the relay as soon as I can,

Mhpautos
Ok, then you just backed me up on my theory that the head gasket is fine. I will change that thermostat first thing tomorrow, and I look forward to reading your info in the mourning, thank-you for the help so far.

BBest
Hi there,

here is some more info on the cooling fans, sorry but I can't send a pic as my scanner has decided not to play nice tonight. The cooling fan relay is on the Left hand fender & there is a 30 Amp fuse in the power distribution center on the L/H/S of the engine compartment, if check these out next.

Mhpautos
That 30 amp fuse you are talking about is fine. Just to clear up any possible confusion, its a 1992 Chrysler New Yorker (Fifth ave trim), 3.3L V6 (201ci) with AC.

Theres a Rad fan relay (bottom right hand corner of the fuse box), and thats the one I suspected to be no good, but I replaced it with another one, and still the fans don't work. I know the fans are in good working shape. (No check engine, or trouble codes)

BBest
Hi there,

OK, what I will do is ask a fellow moderator for some help here, as I live in Australia and don't know your car first hand, I will try and find the location of the fan sensor as I feel that this may be the problem.

Mhpautos
Ok, sounds good.

BBest
Hi there,

I was sent this pic by another mod i hope it help,

mark (mhpautos)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_12900_temperature_1_1.jpg

Mhpautos
Ok, i'll see what I can do about that.

Oh, I changed my thermostat from a 195 to a 180 fail-safe, so far its been doing good, no boil overs so far, and its stay fairly low in temp. Mind you, in town with an aluminum rad, I o expect I to heat up a little, but not to actually boil over anymore.

Than-you so much for the help. This means alot to me.

BBest