AUTO TEMP A/C NOT SWITCHING

1989 Chrysler New Yorker

Air Conditioning problem
1989 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

Suddenly my Auto Temp control appears to be stuck in HEAT mode. When you select " auto" and select the lowest temp (65) the system stays in heat mode. The A/C compressor kicks in, but of course to no avail. Also, the air does not switch from floor to panel. HOWEVER, if you manually select panel, floor, def. The air flow will change. The temp stays hot. I have been told there is some " diagnostic" mode the dash panel can be set in to self diagnose, but have no idea if that is true or not. Any help or direction would be appriated.
Jimw1

There sure is. With key on press, AUTO, FLOOR, and DEFROST butons at the same time. If thereare any codes it will show it on thescreen, after each code, press PANEL to display next code. It can take up to 1 1/2 minutes for the system to self diagnose. If 75 appears the computer doesnt see a problem

Jack42
Thanks for the reply. I did the self test and the only code I got was " 01" - What does that mean. Also. When I was fooling around with it before I found you guys - I pressed the " off" button and UP on the temp toggle and got a C4. Any significance to that?

Jimw1
I did find a code 1. You will need a volt meter and to remove the controller from the dash to test it, do you have a meter?

Jack42
I do not, however I know a mechanic friend of mine (who is not too keen on Chrylsers. LOL) who does. What am I looking for?

Jimw1
First remove blend door actuator(leave plugged in) and restest, it will set a code 1 if there is an obstruction keeping the door from traveling all of the way. Send me your email and I will take a couple screen shots and email them to you

Jack42
Thanks so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. My email is jimw1@cox. Net Thanks again!

Jimw1
I sent you the trouble tree for code 1

Jack42
OK. This thing is getting crazy. I did not touch the car Sat - didn't go out of house. I go out SUNDAY and suddenly the digital display appears in Metrics 18-30 range. No, the dash is not set in metric mode. OK, so I run diagnostic. And suddenly I dont have 01 anymore, but I have 02. OK. This am I get up and go to work. All is same - 02 code etc. I get off work and get in the car, and just for the heck of it I run the diagnostic. Code 01 and no code 02. Still in metrics. Do I just give up and live without a/c? I believe the blend door is probably stuck, but need to tear into it. What is the 02 code and what would make it appear and then go away? And these metrics? Whats up with that?

Jimw1
Code 2 is also a blend door issue. You are going to have to remove the actuator and follow the trouble-tree I sent you to figure this out. The actuator may be shorting it out causing the metric conversion

Jack42