BLOWN HEAD GASKET

1987 Chrysler New Yorker

1987 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

This car I just purchased overheated unexpectedly one day and I might add, catastrophically -- within 1 mile of home. The next day, a local garage assessed that the vehicle failed the bock test. I drove it afterward for 8 miles (15 min or so) and the temp stabilized in the normal range, never once approaching overheat. Is it possible for a head gasket to blow independent of a cooling system/water pump failure? I'm wondering, too, (crazy as it sounds) if I can continue to drive this vehicle and simply keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Bluenewyork

The head gasket could blow. I would start with the thermastat and backflushing the system. If the car has been sitting for some time near some trees then check to make sure the radiartor is clear fo leaves. Then can build up between the transmission cooler and the radiator. What do you mean that it failed the bock test.

M_H_RITZEL