CAR DRIVES FINE IN TOWN BUT DIES ON HIGHW

1999 Chrysler LHS

1999 Chrysler LHS 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

Okay. I am at wits end. I have paid all sorts of shops to help with this problem but all have failed to fix the problem. I even had an authorized dealer check the car and they told me that it did not register any problem codes whatever those are. The vehicle will run fine while driving in town but once I get it on the highway it will go about 15 miles and just shut down, if I let it sit for awhile it will start up and run for a mile or two and then shut down again. Now I have had the fuel pump checked was told it was not that. I need help!
Kaliraye

Honestly, it sounds like a bad fuel pump or a plugged fuel filter. If the car doesn't start right back up, that is the chance to identify where the problem is coming from. What you need to do is check if the engine is getting spark to the plugs and fuel to the injectors. Because no trouble codes were found, chances are it is fuel related.

Codes, as the dealer mentioned, are a way to identify problems. When a component, electrical, sensor, misfire... occurrs, the computer stores that information. A mechanic then plugs a scanner into the system and can identify codes (numbers) that he will then cross reference into English which identifies where the problem came from. It really is a great system, but many fuel related problems don't set codes.

Here are "How To's" for checking for fuel pressure and spark. It will be inconvient to check on the road when it happens, but that will be your best means of identifying where the problem is coming from.

http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_fuel_pressure.htm

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

Let me know if you have other questions and the outcome.

That doesn't make any sense. Have you read my problem thoroughly? I have already had the fuel system checked, that was not it. That was absolutely no help to me. While I was waiting for you all to reply I got an answer elsewhere and I didn't pay them near as much as I donated to you all. If it is all the same I would just like my donation back.

Kaliraye
Hi: I personally don't deal with that. I believe you need to go back to the site where you donated and there is an option there. Let me know if that helps. If not, I will try to figure it out for you.

What was the problem? And the reason I rementioned the fuel pump is because I have seen problems where the pump will work fine, and after it heats up, it would do the exact same thing.