CAR RUNS ROUGH WHEN IN GEAR

1995 Chrysler LHS

1995 Chrysler LHS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160k miles

I just got this car. It's in pretty good shape but when I put it in gear it runs rough and wants to quit. In park or neutral it runs good. There does not seem to be any misses in the motor and the engine rev's well. I changed the plugs and checked the wires. I also replaced the vacuum hoses that were worn

any idea's

Jim
JBlank

Hello, how does it act at highway speed? Any codes?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_trouble_codes_mil_1.jpg

The above info is how to access some codes.

I checked the codes and it reported 12 55

Thanks Again

JBlank
The codes didn't show anything. Code 12 means the battery has been disconnected at some point in the past. Code 55 is end of message. Is the idle speed too low in drive? If you open the throttle does the problem go away?

The engine runs a steady 800 rpm in park. In gear it runs about 600-700 rpm

JBlank
What is the litre size of your engine? It's not unusual for the rpms to drop some when you put a load on the engine. In park there is not much load.

The engine is a 3.5 v6

JBlank
Hi, other than general maintenance and the basics of fuel-- air and spark, I'd have to put a scanner on it, to look at live engine data, maybe then I would have a direction. Right now, I don't have a direction.