STALLING WHEN HEAT SOAKED...

1994 Chrysler LHS

1994 Chrysler LHS 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 99,000 miles

Hi,

Looking for thoughts on a stalling issue, 94 LHS 3.5 24V. First of all I used to be a mechanic 15 years ago so I have very good base knowledge. Car is not mine and out of state (mothers). Recently drove it and felt an occasional, very small miss every 20 min or so, car was at temp and acted as if you'd shut off ignition for a micro second.

Car generally runs fine, but of course day " after" I returned home was informed that it wouldn't start when shut down (when heat soaked) and had been doing that for several months.

Don't have the codes yet. Any Chrysler gurus have any thoughts on matter.

Thanks much.
Birddog681

There are so many sensors and emissions related items today you really need to test these fault codes out of the PCM, but a fuel pump or dirty filter can really cause you fits, the system needs the proper pressure and the emissions(especially evaporative) to all be right, a slight miss that at one time felt electrical could be fuel as well. Get the codes, if there are none, test fuel pressure, it should be up around 50-55psi and hold pressure when you turn the key off, maybe the gas cap is not venting properly, it will usually cause a fault code. Ok my friend and mechanic, once a wrench, always a wrench. Ok

Ch112063
Joe,

Thanks for your thoughts. Key activation system shows only - code 32, egr solenoid circuit, open or short detected. Talking Mom throught that retrieval was akin to installing a big block in a Pinto. LOL

Car is in FL, I'm in MI. So I had a guy down there install new camshaft and crankshaft position sensors as an educated guess. Do you have any thoughts on code 32.

Thanks again.

Dave

Birddog681
I think your doing the right thing. Code 32, this solenoid gets 12 volts from fuse 16 a 10 amp. The fuse supplies 12 volts to both O2 sensors and a couple more solenoids, both emmissions related. But the O2 sensors share the same ground as the 3.5L coil for the ignition system and this ground is behind the left cylinder head. It's screwed in to the back of it. So check and clean up that ground also. Check the fuses, reset it and roadtest it. Recheck the codes. All you can do from MI. I have family in K-Zoo. Ok, good luck, anytime. Bye for now

Ch112063