OIL PRESSURE GAUGE

1990 Chrysler Le Baron

1990 Chrysler Le Baron 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

My 90 Lebaron is running fine except for an oil drip. But recently when I am driving and come to a stop the oil pressure gauge drops to zero but as soon as I give it gas it goes right back to normal.

As I said it is running fine and even when the guage drops the engine sounds ok and there seems to be no problems.

I had one person say its the oil pump and another say it must be something wrong with the gauge.

My concern is should I stop driving it or can I keep going and wait before having it checked. As you can see by the cars age I do not have the money for expensive repairs.

Thank you
Rfishback

It could either be false reading or faulty oil pump. Best thing to do is take a mechanical oil pressure gauge and test the oil pressure that way. If that gauge shows low also then the pump needs replaced. If gauge reads good then the oil sending unit is probably faulty and sending inaccurate information to inside oil pressure gauge.

Bluelightnin6