CANADIAN

1997 Chrysler Intrepid

1997 Chrysler Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

I'm having trouble with the rear window defroster.

The grid is fine, The ac temp control has a relay on it, this relay works when the button is pressed.

Yet the defrost grid doesn't receive a pos 12v.

Short of taking up the rear seats and carpet to trace the wiring, is there any other place I can look for the problem?

Anyone have a wiring diagram I can look at for the defrost and ac control?

I have a chiltons book, but it doesn't show much of anything about anything. Pure garbage.
Acridcola

Do power mirrors work?If yes do you have antenna that goes up when radio is on> if yes rear defogger is powered by module on right side trunk. Should have 12v black/blue wire

Docfixit
Power mirrors work, no power antenna.

I've looked in the trunk and couldn't find any type of relay on the right or left side.

Once before I had the rear seat out, it appeared the grid wire went under the carpet toward the front of the car.

It was hard to see, it was taped/wrapped up to other wrapped wires that did lead into the trunk

Up to that point the grid wire was black and white.

Guess I could pull the seats out again and look again.

BTW not sure if it matters but the Chrysler intrepid is a Canadian model

Acridcola
You won't have relay no power antenna. Power comes from switch to right side of grid by black/white wire. Comes along right door seals up behind seat then into head liner to widow. Connector should be at seat. Also ground on left rear fender

Docfixit
Yeah I just took the seats out and looked in the trunk. Nada

Passenger side of grid is grounded to the body behind a panel.

Driver side is a connector with a black/wht stripe wire that goes behind the rear seat, under the carpet/door sills up to the driver side kick panel, from there I have no idea where to look.

Is the BCM connected to this?

Maybe the ac control/relay is powered backwards?

Acridcola
BCM not part of wiring just switch timer wire to window and ground. Try checking at switch for power.

Docfixit
Pretty sure the switch works, lights up and the relay clicks.

I think the relay is relaying NEG power, I'm not sure if there is anything between the AC wiring and the defrost wire.

Thanks for the help BTW,

I'll pull the ac control out again and check a few things.

I think the relay is currently setup like this

Df wire or something else
Pos Neg < - 2 white connectors on side
Neg - not sure what powers this connection, was showing continuity on 3rd top pin from big blue ac connector.

There are also 3 wires going to the relay block area, one light blue connector I didnt check and 2 white connectors, constant POS and defrost button NEG.

Acridcola
On the relay that click when you push button do you see a black/pink wire? If yes voltage on it.

Docfixit
From what I can tell

The two white connectors to the block of the relay control the relay.

Ones always positive, the other is NEG to the switch

_ to blk/w
+| |-
| - To Blk/r?

The other 2 relay terminals seem to connect to wires on the black connector of the Ac unit.

One to a black/white stripe wire
one to a black / red stripe wire

The black/ red stripe has a 12v NEG when the switch is on, unless the fan switch is on too. Then it drops to 5v as does the black/ white wire.

The black /white terminal has 12v NEG, when the switch is on.

I pulled all the wires on the AC, and disconnected the driver side grid wire, there is still a ground.

With the wires pulled on the AC unit the black/white wire in the connector is also ground.

And the relay sends ground.

I'm lost lol.

Acridcola
So far I've traced the grounded ac/grid wire to the fuse panel.

Top middle connector on the back side

Its a light blue/ light green stripe wire. Any idea where this wire goes?

Acridcola
Do you have auto A/C?
Can have your Email I'll send diagram of defogger circuit.

Docfixit