TIMING

1967 Chrysler Imperial

1967 Chrysler Imperial V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

Hello my car has been timed and it runs worse than before valve slap and backfires outta the carb can you give me some advice in trouble shooting this also the correct timing adjustment thanks
Supe916

Is car a 383 2bbl with points ignition?

Docfixit
No its a 440 with a 4 barrel

Supe916
I have replaced points cap rotor plugs plug wires

Supe916
Was dwell at 30-32 degrees? If yes then can time make sure vacuum hose has NO vacuum at idle. Also make sure weights in Dist are free grab rotor you should be able to to move and it will return. Time at 4 deg ATDC these motors run better at that setting.
Pull coil wire hold 1/4 inch from intake crank good blue/white spark? Hook up vacuum guage what is vacuum?

Docfixit
Ok I did all that then I manually set the timing at what you said then looked at the distibutor and it was 180 degrees off so I pullled and resunk dis and no fire put it back and got fire. I have my suspitions but what is your advice I think it jumped time and im gonna have to either reset or replace timing gear chain

Supe916
Well not 180 suspect engine was on exhaust stroke. Pull no. 1 plug turn engine by hand. Put finger in plug hole rotate when you feel air escaping that is comp stroke. Set crank on 0 TDC see where dist is pointed. If good next look at rotor turn engine counter clockwise till you see rotor move how many degs? This will tell if chain is out

Docfixit
Ok ill do that and just to make sure im on the right page number 1 cylinder
is on the drivers side right

Supe916
Yes only Ford decided to be different and put 1 one pass side

Docfixit