TAKES FOR EVER TO BLOW HEAT

2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager

Heater problem
2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 160000 miles

Hi thank you for looking,
When I get in my car from a cold start. I turn on the heat to full. It takes a good ten minutes or so before it blows hot air. It blows straight cold air for that period and then just like someone flipped a switch it blows striaght hot. Then its fine for the rest of the drive. Even if you turn it down or off it will blow hot right away if you turn it up
Echosa

It sounds like everything is functioning normal, maybe a lazy thermostat.

The epa wants engines to burn with the least amount of emissions. The worst time for emission pollution is when the engine is not at operating temperature. The computer is focused on the engine warming up as soon as it can. It goes from a closed loop to an open loop.

In the closed loop the thermostat is closed depriving the passenger compartment from stealing any heat. Thus the cold air for the first 10 minutes. When the themostat reaches 195 degrees it opens up and allows the heater core to receive coolant flow and giving you heat in the passenger compartment. By this time the engine is at operating temp.

The thermostat may be sticking open a little and allowing circulation into the heater core with cold coolant. This will take longer for the engine come to temperature and you to get heat. Not to mention poorer fuel mileage.

I agree, it sounds like operation is normal. Some older cars, particularly old GM cars circulated coolant through the heater core WHILE the engine was warming up, so you had mildly warm air almost right away. Chryslers wait for the engine to warm up fully, then circulate hot coolant through the heater core when the thermostat opens. This helps the engine get to maximum temperature a little faster. During the prolonged warmup period is when most engine wear occurs because moving parts haven't expanded to their normal shape.