SERPENTINE BELT

2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager

2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 miles

The serpentine belt started shredding after driving it. It has been squeeking before the shredding occurred. I replaced it thinking the belt had sat for to long. After installing the new one, about a week later, it shredded a strand off. When I first examined the belt, it seemed to be aligned correctly, but now one of the ribs is torn off. Is this due to the motor mounts, the harmonic balancer, or the tension pulley? (The tension pulley seemed to be working fine)
Danhaiss88

I have found it to usually be a belt problem, just the brand. If you cannot see any alignment problems, if you have checked it carefully any alignment trouble can be seen fairly easily, there was a service bulletin involving the 3.3L tensioner, not for damaging belts, for internal failures causing complte failure and throwing it right off, if the rest of the belt looks ok, and there were no nicks or dirt on any pulleys keep an eye on it, change the adjuster(tensioner) if the idler and all the others are tight as you try to move them with belt off.
If it was my van, I would change the tensioner if it has never been done before, hundreds came in with that problem, on new belts but didn't fall off. It's 8 years old, I would change it.
OK sir

Ch112063