CHEVY FAULTY TEMPERATURE GAUGE?

1997 Chevrolet Venture

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 162381 miles

Just bought a really nice used 1997 Venture, and noticed the temperature gauge will not read at all. Needle is slightly below the cool side, and does not budge although the vehicle has plenty of time to warm up. Am I looking at replacing a gauge, sensor, fuse, or something worse?
Fubarbun

Hi fubarbun and TY for the donation

Inspect and test the coolant temperature sensor and its wiring if okay could be the gauge itself is out of calibration

Thank you for your prompt reply! Please forgive me being new to this forum, but how do I go about checking the calibration of the gauge? Is this something I can do myself, or do I need to request the services of a shop with a computer? I would assume that if I just outright replaced the sensor, it would be a " no brainer" as far as removing that part of the equation. I have a friend who is a certified mechanic, however he has nothing to read computer/sensor related problems, and we have just replaced these things in the past to bypass the need since ususally they are cheaper than the headache of guessing.

I am not experienced with this particular make of Mini Van, but as far as early '90s Plymouth Voyagers are concerned, I almost feel qualified to answer most things about them. Lol

Thanks again, and please let me know if I am asking for things that are considered out of forum etiquette!

Kelly : )

Fubarbun
Lets get that mechanic friend to check and test the CTS for a start. If okay replace the gauge after the wiring to it checked out to and from the guage