COOLING SYSTEM WOES

Chevrolet Truck

1991 Chevy Pick-up 6 cylinder engine

There is a plug in the bottom of the enigine near the oil filter with a wire or hose coming out of it. The plug is pouring coolant out of it. What is this plug?
Tbrennan

That would be a freeze plug with a heater element to warm the coolant before you start it. The wire is mainly for extremely cold temps up north. Depending on where you live, (i.E.) The south, you can replace it with just a plain freeze plug with no wire connection and tie the wire out of the way. However, if you live up north, replace it with the same freeze plug heater element.

Bootdog
Thank you that makes sense. I live in Alaska so I think I will need the heater element. : D

Tbrennan
Thank you that makes sense. I live in Alaska so I think I will need the heater element. : D[/quote: ae62c85747]

It tells me something you're new there-comeback and give Mr. Bootdog a feedback and vote he deserves it. Better give that alaskan spirit or don't come to Russian River for that combat fishing or Seward for 4th of July lol.

Good Luck and Happy Easter